Friday, January 27, 2012

Tall, Dark, and Determined by Kelly Eileen Hake


Tall, Dark, and Determined
Kelly Eileen Hake
Barbour Publishing 
Pub Date: 12/1/11
Genere: Historical, fiction, romance

Let it be said I am very tenacious when it comes to reading books. The do not have to grab me within the first page or the first chapter. However, if by chapter 5 I'm still completely lost then we have a problem. Unfortunately this book left me completely befuddled. I honestly haven't finished it yet and I'm not sure I will. I know Hake to be a decent author and aside from the corny title I was looking forward to reading this book. However, after five chapters I was more confused than ever. Because this was a digital copy I kept assuming whole chapters hadn't transferred properly. I even went online at midnight one night to see if I was missing something, but to no avail. 

Tall, Dark and Determined is the second story in the Husbands for Hire series by award winning author Kelly Eileen Hake. Perhaps if I had read book 1 I wouldn’t have felt so lost throughout Lacey Lyman’s story.  She and her four friends are seeking to rebuild Hope Falls after the mine collapsed, which nearly killed her brother.  They post an ad for husbands who can help turn the town into a successful sawmill.  The men arrive by the dozens, but none of them catch talkative and independent Lacey’s eye.    

The story goes on but to where and how I don't know and I'm not sure I ever care to. Certain things irritate me greatly and having and author forget that her readers don't live inside her head with the characters is one of them. I will read more from Hake in the future with the hopes that she finds her way back to weaving a readable and intriguing story. 
Thank you to Netgalley and Barbour Publishing for providing me with a free digital copy in exchange for me honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...