Saturday, October 26, 2013

All For a Song


All For a Song
Allison Pittman 
Tyndale House Publishers
February 2013
Fiction, Historical 

 Dorothy Lynn Dunbar has everything she could possibly want in her hometown of Herron's Nest. She's engaged to be married to the young pastor that's she's deeply in love with. She also has her music. With her guitar in hand and time alone in the woods Dorothy pens and sings beautiful worship songs. With all she could ever want she still longs for something more. When Dorothy heads to St. Louis so her older sister can help her find a wedding dress a whole new world is opened up to her. 

Dorothy is enraptured by movies, music, new fashions, cars, different foods, and dancing. While exploring the city she encounters the dynamic and charismatic evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson. When she's asked to join the crusade team she can't say no. She tells her fiancee she'll see him at the wedding and heads off across country. Beyond the allure of singing in front of thousands is also her desire to track down her long lost brother who disappeared after World War I.

The crusade and her ultimate arrival in California is more than she could have ever imagined. She's faced with very hard to resist temptations. Money, men, fame, clothes, and more all pull for her attention. She has to decide who she's going to be and where her heart really belongs. 

Seeing the Roaring Twenties through Dorothy's eyes was really quite fun. Her arrival in the city and being thrust into the "world" was as startling for the reader as I'm sure it was for Dorothy. As a character Dorothy was not overly intriguing. She was wishy washy and that actually translates into annoying. She didn't know who she was and as a reader it was not a fun journey. Her fiancee both irritated me and endeared himself to me. 

Aimee Semple McPherson is an actual historical person. I found her completely unlikeable. Typically a historical fiction book should make you want to know more about that time period or character. In this case, I had absolutely no desire to know more. In fact, I almost quit reading the book at one point because I so disliked her. 

Pittman is typically a very good author so I was a bit disappointed with this book. She writes the time period well, however, and I felt like I could easily picture the 1920's. The best part of the book was near the end as Dorothy made her decision. It was a lovely story of love and forgiveness. 

This was not my favorite book from Pittman but it's still worth a read. It moves a bit slow at times but there is just enough to keep you reading and interested. 


My thanks to Tyndale Publishing for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my real and honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...