Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mine is the Night

Liz Curtis Higgs is back! After this review after her last book I had my doubts about picking up this book. However, my love for Higgs and my desire for her to captivate me once more had me pushing through. She did not disappoint. This is the second of two and can absolutely stand alone, in fact I would recommend skipping the first and getting right to this one. It took me a whole first book and a few chapters into this one to realize this was an interpretation of the story of Ruth. Anyone else out there take as long as me to figure that out? Anyway, with that added twist I was hooked immediately. The language was still a bit challenging at times but I adjusted quickly and loved the story. The characters are full of depth and they'll feel like your closest friends before you're done. You always know a winner when you finish abook and keep thinking about the characters. Annoying, but a mark of a truly excellent story and storyteller.

Following the Jacobite rebellion Elizabeth and her mother-in-law, Marjory, flea penniless to Marjory's former hometown. Finding refuge with a distant cousin Elizabeth and Marjory begin to rebuild their lives in a way that looks nothing like their former existence. Beth takes up a needle and thread and Marjory begins cooking. Both begin to fall for two dashing men who capture their hearts and therein lies the tale.

This is one of those books that you just have to read to truly appreciate it. I promise you'll enjoy this one. Pick it up and be prepared to be transported to 1700's Scotland.

WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group provided this book to me for free in exchange for this honest review as part of their Blogging for Books program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...