Friday, November 18, 2011

Unexpected Dismounts


Unexpected Dismounts by Nancy Rue
Review by: Melissa J. MacDonald
Genre: historical fiction
Publisher: David C Cook
Date: 2011

This is the second book in the Reluctant Prophet series. Allison Chamberlain is a prophet who receives
nudges from God. Her life has already made a 180 as she has followed the nudges and gone where God has sent her.

Taking place in St. Augustine, Florida Allison does battle on the streets to reform prostitutes and drug addicts and to show them the love of Jesus.  She is also in the process of adopting Desmond who is a precocious 12 year old boy who grew up on the streets. The adoption should be a for sure thing but trouble seems to follow Allison and she suddenly finds herself having to fight in court for her son. In the midst of all that she’s doing battle for her sisters at The Sacrament House and dealing with the rape of a recovering prostitute.

Motorcycle rides, hanging with the HOGS, prostitutes, court battles, endearing characters, and honest pain makes this book truly captivating. When you add in the handsome manly Chief with whom Allison has a magnetic attraction to I promise you’ll stay up late reading this one.

This book absolutely captured me. I was skeptical when I started reading about a prophet. I wasn’t sure I would enjoy it or even be able to relate to it. However, I was mistaken. I found myself relating to Allison’s love for people in a very real way. I don’t ride a Harley but I love people and feel their pain deeply. If you’ve ever hurt for someone else, been angry at the injustice in the world, or ask God “why?” than you will relate to this book. Hats off to Nancy Rue for writing a deep, thought-provoking, and entertaining story.

Rated: PG-13

Thank you to David C Cook for providing me a copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...