Friday, April 15, 2011

Finding Your Prince in a Sea of Toads- Dr. Kenneth Ryan


Finding Your Prince in a Sea of Toads
Review by: Melissa J. MacDonald
Genre: non-fiction, family & relationships, love & romance
Publisher: WinePress Publishing
Date: 2011

Finding Your Prince in a Sea of Toads. If a title like that doesn’t catch your attention than I don’t know what will! When I first received my copy of this book I was immediately intrigued. I have taught Bible studies for years  to junior high and high school girls about staying sexually pure. Beyond that I’ve counseled girls for years that just do not seem to be able to get it when it comes to finding a quality guy to date and eventually marry. I opened the book with great anticipation.

The book has an astounding 86 chapters, some only a page long. Dr. Ryan writes with a very upfront attitude. He starts out by defining what a prince is and what a toad is. The interspersed drawings of said toad made me laugh out loud. Ryan says it like it is which I thoroughly appreciated it. At times the books seems a bit choppy as he jumps from one subject to the next.

Ryan does a great job of promoting the use of logic and rationale in making a future mate decision. The book is clearly written for a general audience so if you are looking for Biblical backing for those decisions you won’t find it. However, there is a wonderful grain of God’s truth throughout.

Quite a bit of the book focuses on sex and Ryan speaks very bluntly about it. He does a great job of portraying the distinct differences between how men and women view sex. It is one of the best I have read. He also does a good job of spelling out the slippery slope that can quickly be fallen down when one starts dancing around sexual activity. His guidelines for guarding against that slope are excellent. 

Ryan does a great job of laying out facts and practical ideas for finding a prince. However, once he starts helping with dating the book goes downhill. His guidelines are quite subjective and in many cases I found them to be misleading. I would read that part of the book with a grain of salt.

All in all this was really an excellent book. An easy read with humor sprinkled throughout. I could definitely see myself using this book for a Bible study, although I would need to gather Biblical facts to coincide with the book. Practical and a must-read for the girl who has spent too much time chasing those nasty toads.


Rated: PG-13  for blunt sexual content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...